Sunday 1 September 2013

Yarn and Buttons !

Hellooo!! I (Coco) have a tin square push button box for you to end this cool week...Since I don't have this nice bag of buttons that my teammates have used to illustrate this theme all over the week, instead I chose a fabulous mask perfectly suitable for the occasion ! That's Tangled Yarn by Neil Walker. Neil has designed several fantastic masks/stencils very versatile you can see here, and so much fun to work with. So far I have only this one, but I will certainly get others!!


I chose to alter a small tin box originally full of very good chocolates from the 
French Valrhona brand, yum! And decided to just play with my mask, grunge paste, some paints and mistable inks. First I black gessoed my tin box as a base-coat, and then directly put into it - as Gesso can also be used as glue - some scraps of old book pages, trying not to cover the entire surface for more interest. I lightly covered the whole with another coat of black gesso. I did it on all faces and let dry. Then I took the TANGLED YARN mask and added some Texture Paste in two opposite corners of the outer faces at the top and the back. Coloring of all parts was done using several Fresco Finish paints, Treasure Golds and mistable inks until I was happy with the result.


The inside was made mainly by spritzing white and Lemon inks on the mask. (As this latter is longer than the box, I pressed some parts of it with the fingers of one hand to keep it in place while spritzing with the other hand). After this step, I stamped some sewing images using my Brilliance Moonlight White ink, and heat them to help all the ink and paint to adhere to my tin support. I also rubbed around all inner and outer edges Treasure Gold in Ruby colour. I finally stamped a beautiful buttons border and other sewing stamps on a piece of kraft paper, cut them out, then inked the edges with my Distress Vintage Photo and glued them all firmly with Glossy accents after having painted some of them with some leftover paint.  To finish, I added some red sewing thread here and there, and true buttons! I love my tin box entirely made with this unique mask !!!

 And here's the mask I used:
Neil Walker Mask - Tangled Yarn
If you wish the full list of materials including stamps and extra photos, don't hesitate to pop over my blog.
Thank you for popping by on Tando's blog today, please come back tomorrow to look at a new inspiring theme and see what the DT has been up to with it and some lovely Tando products ! Have a lovely day ! xxx

3 comments:

Katherine said...

Beautiful Coco, I love all the misting and layering its beautiful.

Sandra said...

Great job on this box, Corinne. I love the way you used this fab mask with the touch of colours and the texture :)

Kaz said...

This is fab Coco, I love that white ink over the black xx